It consists of four principal components, namely:
- Gingiva, Periodontal ligament (PDL), Cementum, Alveolar bone proper.
- This assembly undergoes changes as it ages and is affected by microbial and mechanical irritation.
- The healthy gingiva has a light pink color with small depressions similar to the appearance of ”orange peel”.
What is gingivitis?
Gingivitis is the most common disease of the gingiva and is the first stage in the occurrence of periodontitis.
The patient accuses:
- Gingival bleeding easily produced by brushing, chewing or even spontaneously;
- Changes in color, appearance and volume: red, swollen and smooth gums, without “orange peel” appearance;
- Change of consistency: soft gums, which easily detach from the tooth.
- Bad breath.
- Some patients may experience itching, nausea, or even slight pains, especially during brushing, leading them to avoid it.
Why does gingivitis occur? Why your gums are bleeding?
Gingivitis and gingival bleeding occur as a result of:
- Incorrectly performed mecanical oral hygiene (wrong brushing technique: too aggressive, rarely done, done only on certain areas)
- Supra and subgingivally calculus .
- Oral environment (acidity, microbial communities)
- Mechanical irritation: irregular margins of caries lesions, obturations or prosthesis.
- Occlusal trauma produced by the loss of teeth and migration of neighbors and antagonists. It opens contact points and favors food impaction.
- Crowded teeth wich are unadjusted orthodontically: favors the accumulation of calculus and bacterial plaque between the teeth, especially lower incisors.
- Bruxism: causes increased physiological dental mobility and widening of the periodontal space.
How can we treath Gingivitis?
In EXCEDENT CLINIC, we perform dental hygiene which includes dental scaling, professional brushing and air flow with sodium bicarbonate and then laser-cleaning to reduce microbial colonization for a period of 4-6 weeks.
Acute gingivitis should then be treated at home through the application of special solutions prepared on prescriptions released by the dentist.
Patients are trained individually and free of charge to maintain daily hygiene by electric or manual brushing , using dental floss, and mouthwash.
Gingival bleeding disappears and the gums regain their healthy appearance within 48 hours.
Gingivitis is the first stage in the evolution of periodontitis.
Regular control and treatment of gingivitis are a must for a healthy body and a beautiful and pleasant smile !!
Call us for an appointment:
0745 585 877 Clinica EXCEDENT PANDURI.
0744 537 377 Clinica EXCEDENT AVIATIEI